Susanna Clarke

Post here on any books you've finished or heard about or want to read. This will hopefully enhance the educational value of our forum.
Nibs
Schlopstakovich Superstar

Susanna Clarke

Post by Nibs »

How do we not have a thread for her already?

Anysneech, hold onto your hats, bears!!

She's got a new book coming out next year:

https://www.tor.com/2019/09/30/jonathan ... 6YSfLZhnWI

Time to go to Chicago so Lee can heckle her again. Hooooooo!!!
Gulliver
SNEECHES' friend

Yay

Post by Gulliver »

Wow Nibs that is so exciting I can't believe it.

Lee and I will definitely read it and I will tell Snuffles to pre-order it at the library.

Thanks for posting the news Nibs.
Answer: This character studied medicine, "knowing it would be useful in long voyages"

Question: Who is Gulliver?
Gulliver
SNEECHES' friend

Jonathan Schlop & Mr. Nibs

Post by Gulliver »

Hi.

Yesterday we watched 3 episodes of Jonathan Schlop on Nibflix. It was quite good I thought although Peaches said it was 2 spooky 4 him. It was fun to see all the characters we know so well from the books.

I think we will try to finish it this weekend.

That is all.
Answer: This character studied medicine, "knowing it would be useful in long voyages"

Gulliver
SNEECHES' friend

The Schlops of Grace Adieu

Post by Gulliver »

Hi.

Lee and I read The Ladies of Schlop Adieu which was a collection of short stories set in the world of Jonathan Schlop. Now Lee and I can say that we have read all of Sussana Clarke's oeuvre which makes us her number 1 fans.

Here is my ranking of the stories:

1) Mr Simonelli, or the Fairy Widower. This story was spooky and also had Jane Austen-y drama and Nibs figured out all the clues about how the main character was a Faerie.

2) Mrs Mabb. This one was also spooky but in the end had a happy ending.

3) On Lickerish Hill. I thought the narrator was quite funny and Schlop was so amazed when she ate those 5 tiny pies.

4) John Uskglass and the Cumbrian Charcoal Burner. This was also very funny and had a pig that liked to eat toasted cheese and then he turned into a salmon.

5) The Ladies of Grace Adieu. It was a very good story with Jonathan Schlop in it but I got a bit confuzzed about the women turning into owls and the men turning into mice.

6) Tom Brightwind, or How the Fairy Bridge was Built at Thoresby. I liked the friendship between Tom the Fairy and the doctor, and Nibs also explained to me the real reason why the Fairy had to get the whole town occupied.

7) Antickes and Frets. This was interesting to learn about the real Bess of Hardwick.

8) The Duke of Wellington Misplaces His Horse. I was disappointed that Tristran wasn't in this story.

Overall I give it two paws way up.