Sandman

Post here on any books you've finished or heard about or want to read. This will hopefully enhance the educational value of our forum.
Shnoodles
Schlopstakovich Superstar

Sandman

Post by Shnoodles »

I hear that Lee recently came into possession of the first volume of Neil Gaiman's classic Sandman series. That's pretty exciting! I've never read them - they were too scary! - but maybe Lee will post here what she thinks about them.

Also she got a gift certificate to buy more books. I wonder what books she will buy?
In the SHNOOD!
Muffins
Schloptastic Bean

What up Shnoods!

Post by Muffins »

Hey - did she ever buy those books or what?

I've been waiting forever to hear about this...

What books did she buy???
"You have no life... Writing about Smurfs... GO EAT A MUFFIN OR SOMETHING!"
Gulliver
SNEECHES' friend

Lee and Neil

Post by Gulliver »

Hi.

Lee maybe you will be interested in stopping by to see Neil in California:
7:00 PM Monday, October 2, 2006 – Berkeley, CA
CODY’S BOOKS PRESENTS AN EVENING WITH NEIL GAIMAN
Berkeley Repertory Theater
Roda Stage
2025 Addison Street
Berkeley CA

This is a ticketed event, with tickets available on a first-come, first-served basis at both Cody's Fourth Street in Berkeley and Cody's Stockton Street in San Francisco, and via credit card order emailed to events@codysbooks.com, or phoned into 510-559-9500. Tickets are $10 per person. Ticket stubs may be presented once in the theater for a 20% discount on signed copies of Fragile Things; undiscounted and unsigned copies may be purchased at Cody's along with tickets beginning September 26. Note: pre-purchased unsigned copies won't, unfortunately, get signed: there will be no post-performance signing.

http://www.codysbooks.com/

CODY'S BOOKS
Cody's on Fourth Street
1730 Fourth Street
Berkeley, CA 94710
510-559-9500
melissa@codysbooks.com
(Edited to fix Cody's address).
Answer: This character studied medicine, "knowing it would be useful in long voyages"

Question: Who is Gulliver?
lee
No Pants Bean

Neil stalking

Post by lee »

Gulliver,

That is SO exciting. I will call after work today and see if I can get at ticket. Do you want a copy of his newest book?

Thanks for the scoop!!
Gulliver
SNEECHES' friend

Scoops a lot

Post by Gulliver »

Hi Lee.

That's cool you are going to try for a ticket. Let me know if you get one.

Can I tag along with you? I already have the new book on order from Schloply's but I would also like a signed book to keep.

Bye.
Answer: This character studied medicine, "knowing it would be useful in long voyages"

lee
No Pants Bean

mission accomplished

Post by lee »

Hey Gulliver,

I got a ticket!! Woo hoo!!!

So you should start hitchhiking out to Berkeley sometime around mid-September to get there in time for Neil's talk.

Do you know much about this book of his?

Thanks for the hot tip!
Gulliver
SNEECHES' friend

Cool!

Post by Gulliver »

Hi.

Cool!

I will try to get there to Berkeley too. Maybe we can get something to eat before Neil's talk.

Wooo!

lee
No Pants Bean

Today is the day

Post by lee »

Hey Gulliver,

I'm so excited about Neil today!! I'll meet you at 5:00 at the Games of Berkeley store and then we can snag some pizza at Pie in the Sky and go hit up Neil's talk!!

I hope he's as funny as last time.

Very exciting!!!
lee
No Pants Bean

Neil report

Post by lee »

Hey guys!

Me and Gulliver just got back from the Neil talk. It was GREAT!!! Gulliver will probably tell you all about it but here are the highlights from my end...

I got there around 5:15 and there was already a line. So I waited in line until 6:15 and visited with some ladies around me. It was less of a nerdy group in Berkeley to my surprise, a lot of older people. Then I sat in the seat until 7.

Neil was great as always. He read 4 things from Fragile Things and said they were all requests that had come in that day on his site. First was a humorous poem about the day all these miraculous things happened (aliens land, zombies rise, etc). The second was a short story about a guy whose reality is our fantasy and he is a writer and wishes he could write about fantasy (our reality). Then there was a poem that was good about what to do if you find yourself in a Fairy Tale.

Then people had prewritten questions on notecards. He flipped through and answered most of them. Told a cool story about how he got the idea for American Gods in Iceland. Talked about his new Penn & Teller movie. Told us about - Gulliver was so excited about this- that there will be a MUSICAL Coraline, as well as a movie. (The soundtrack to the movie is being done by They Might Be Giants.)

One funny question was "Hi Neil. I think you're swell. But if you had to choose, how would you die?" He said "universe overheating"

Another funny one was someone wrote in a yellow highlighter on a white notecard "What makes you happy?" After struggling to read it, he finally did and responded "When people use black pen!"

He also talked about Fred (the unlucky black cat) and how he came to be a part of the family and all.

He's so funny off the cuff, it was great.

Then he read a last short story and it was very somber and not funny and it was really good though and it almost made me cry. It was a story about all the months of the year being personified and having a story contest and October tells a chilling tale. It was really cool how he read it.

Then that was it. It lasted about 2.5 hrs, so definitely worth the money.

Gulliver was embarrassed because my friend was a person with a really loud laugh and everyone kept looking at us! Oh no. I hope it didn't disturb Neil. I told Gulliver that's the last time we invite him along.
Gulliver
SNEECHES' friend

New book from Neil

Post by Gulliver »

Hi.

Did you guys know that Neil has a new book coming out at the end of June? It is called InterSchlopWorld. Here is the description:
Joey Harker isn't a hero.

In fact, he's the kind of guy who gets lost in his own house.

But then one day, Joey gets really lost. He walks straight out of his world and into another dimension.

Joey's walk between the worlds makes him prey to two terrible forces—armies of magic and science who will do anything to harness his power to travel between dimensions.

When he sees the evil those forces are capable of, Joey makes the only possible choice: to join an army of his own, an army of versions of himself from different dimensions who all share his amazing power and who are all determined to fight to save the worlds.

Master storyteller Neil Gaiman and Emmy Award-winning science-fiction writer Michael Reaves team up to create a dazzling tale of magic, science, honor, and the destiny of one very special boy—and all the others like him.
Can you imagine what would happen if Schlop could hang out with Schlops from other dimensions? I wonder what they would do? And what would the other Schlops look like? I bet they would be strange colors... like green.

http://www.neilgaiman.com/journal/2007/ ... using.html

Gulliver
SNEECHES' friend

Neil and Lee

Post by Gulliver »

Hi.

Neil is going to be in San Francisco on October 4th to promote his new book. I wonder if Lee will want to go see him again. If so I will try to find out more details on the event.

Nibs
Schlopstakovich Superstar

Oh wow

Post by Nibs »

A whole Sandman thread?! Whoops!

I'll start posting updates here!

Lee and I like DREAM!! He's so cool!
Gulliver
SNEECHES' friend

Lee is the coolest

Post by Gulliver »

Hi.

Lee has now read 9 of the Sandmans! She even explained a lot of it to me that I didn't understand the first time. Lee is also going to get to see Neil in June.

Lee rocks!

Gulliver
SNEECHES' friend

Lee read them all

Post by Gulliver »

Lee stayed up until 4 in the morning to read the final Sandman!

I wonder if Schlop and Nibs stayed up late too or maybe they just went to bed while Lee kept reading.

lee
No Pants Bean

Yay!!!

Post by lee »

The best part of the series was this line at the end:

"Everything changes, but nothing is lost."

Duddles now know that means his nose is still out there in the world, just no longer with him.

Hoo hooo hoooo.