Oscar Talk

This category is all about MOVIES! Rumors, celebrity gossip, recent sightings, Oscar hopefuls- let it all spill out here.
Pawn
Almost Cool Enough to Talk to Schlop

Oscar Party Dos and Donts

Post by Pawn »

Hey, if you St Louis bears do have an Oscar Party... this article might offer helpful tips:

http://lifestyle.msn.com/FoodandEnterta ... 5&GT1=7812
Muffins
Schloptastic Bean

Oscar Badger

Post by Muffins »

I just saw a clip about this Badger animated short movie that was nominated for an Oscar. It looks pretty cool - it was hand drawn by this 27-year-old film student and is about this badger who is trying to sleep but is annoyed by the missile system that is being built in the Scottish hills. She made it to protest how the British were using Scottish land for their missile systems. It's really unfair, that badger just wanted to get his snooze on - we can all relate to that, right? I hope it wins!
"You have no life... Writing about Smurfs... GO EAT A MUFFIN OR SOMETHING!"
Shnoodles
Schlopstakovich Superstar

The picks have arrived!

Post by Shnoodles »

Here they are! These are the picks for who will win each category - I hear that if we win we get a yogurt parfait and a CD! I like our chances, especially since we have both the Rabbit movie and the Penguin movie.

Best Director
(L) Ang Lee
(D) Crash

Best Actress
(D) Reese Witherspoon
(L) Felicity Huffman

Best Supporting Actor
(L) George Clooney
(D) Matt Dillon

Animated Feature
(D) Wallace and Gromit in the curse of the were-rabbit
(L) Tim Burton's Corpse Bride

Cinematography
(L) Brokeback Mountain
(D) Good night and good luck
(Other) Geishas

Adapted Screenplay
(D) Brokeback Mountain
(L) Capote

Best Picture
(L) Brokeback Mountain
(D) Crash

Art Direction
(D) King Kong
(L) Pride and Prejudice
(Other) Memoirs of a Geisha

Best Foreign Language Film
(L) Paradise Now
(D) Tsotsi

Film Editing
(D) Crash
(L) Walk the Line

Original Screenplay
(L) Crash
(D) The Squid and the Whale

Animated Short
(D) Badgered
(L) The Mysterious Geographic Explorations of Jasper Morello
(Other) The Moon and the Sun

Original Score
(L) Brokeback Moutain
(D) Memoirs of a geisha

Costume design
(D) Pride & Prejudice
(L) Memoirs of a Geisha

Documentary Feature
(L) Murderball
(D) March of the penguins

Best Actor
(D) Philip Seymour Hoffman
(L) Heath Ledger

Sound Mixing
(L) Walk the Line
(D) Chroni-WHAT?-cles of Narnia
(Other) King Kong

Makeup
(D) Chronic-WHAT?-cles of Narnia
(L) Cinderella Man

Sound Editing
(L) King Kong (Hi Mr Monkey)
(D) Memoirs of a geisha

Short film live action
(D) The last farm
(L) Ausreisser (The Runaway)
(Other) Six Shooter

Visual Effects
(L) Chroni-WHAT?-cles of Narnia
(D) King Kong

Documentary Short
(D) The Mushroom club
(L) God Sleeps in Rwanda
(Other) A note of triumph

Best Supporting Actress
(L) Rachel Weisz
(D) Amy Adams

Original Song
(D) Traveling through (Transamerica)
(L) In the Deep (Crash)
(Other) Pimps
Last edited by Shnoodles on Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:23 pm, edited 22 times in total.
In the SHNOOD!
Shnoodles

Shnoods Live Blogging the Oscars 06!

Post by Shnoodles »

Hey guys - I'm going to be periodically live blogging the whole Oscars! Here goes:

7:00 - Jon Stewart not very funny... no mention of bears.

7:20 - George Clooney wins first award, Lee jumps out to an early lead.

7:25 - Ben Stiller dresses funny, Dave now ties Lee!

7:30 - Crackers and Cheese, Grommit! Wooo, Dave takes the lead. That clip was sooooooo funny! That dog is soooo cool. I wish I was a dog like Grommit. I think I am going to buy that movie too!

7:44 - Ooops, neither Dave nor Lee got the live action short right. Duddles says that if the (Other) gets the most right, he wants his own personal McFurry.

7:48 - Another (Other) for Animated Short... looking good for Duddles I guess. I think those badgers got hosed!

7:50 - Oh no! Lee now ties it up at 2 after winning the costume documentary. I think she might have cheated somehow...

7:59 - We're back in the lead with the makeup category! I would have called shenanigans if we had lost on that one since all the makeup the Cinderella Man people did was to change the part in Russell Crowe's hair!

8:06 - Uh oh - tied again after Lee win's best supp. actress. Apparently Rachel Weisz's producer was brimming over with humanity... if I had known that I would have picked her. Did Lee have insider knowledge?

8:20 - Duddles now pulls up into a 3-way tie after some (Other) wins the best short documentary.

8:23 - Woooo for the penguins! They have penguins! We're now up by one. Our big guns (Penguins and Rabbits) have come through, but will it be enough? Stay tuned to Shnoods News to find out!

8:33 - This is from defamer!
Oh, and the March of the Penguins crew wins, making them look a little less ridiculous for bringing three-foot stuffed penguins to the ceremony. Cocky? Sure. But they won, bitches, so deal with it.
8:37 - Chalk up another win for Duddles as Memoirs of a Geisha wins for Art Direction. He's now trying to decide on a flavor, I think he's being a bit over-confident.

8:50 - Uh oh, 3-way tie again as Lee wins best score with Brokeback Mountain. She might be riding those sheep all the way to victory tonight! If I had known there were so many sheep I might have lobbied more for picking that movie. There's no sheep in Crash. What were we thinking?

9:03 - Duddles pulls ahead by 1 when King Kong wins Sound Mixing. Mr. Monkey is going to be mighty upset that noone wanted to pick the big monkey!

9:25 - Uh oh, Duddles now by 2 as some mafia pimp gangsters win an Oscar for best song. He'll be insufferable if he wins...

9:30 - Lee zooms into 2nd as she picked right with the monkey on Sound Editing. I think it is a Peter Jackson thing. Lee's looking pretty good now I think. Will monkeys and sheep trump rabbits and penguins?

9:39 - Oh my gosh, Tsotsi wins and now were tied with Lee! What is it about? Are there animals in it? I'll get Snuffles on this to find out.

9:43 - Wow - were now tied with Duddles after Crash wins for editing. I once had to edit Muffins application essay so I know how tough this can be.

9:48 - Capote wins for best acting. Were now in first! But will it be enough? Lee still has her Brokeback sheep looming. If I had any fingernails they'd be chewed on by now!

9:52 - I just realized that there could be a tie! McFurries for all! Except for Duddles. Heh heh.

9:56 - A wrench is thrown into the tie possibility as the Geisha movie upsets Brokeback for cinematography. I'm pretty sure they cheated since there are no animals at all in the Geisha movie. Not even a mouse I'm told.

10:01 - Reese wins for best actress, point for us! She thanked T-Bone... is that a steak? I'm hungry... is this almost over?

10:10 - Another point for us as Brokeback wins best adapted story. I think we've wrapped up this McFurry! All that's left is to decide the flavor? I'm thinking root beer... who's with me?

10:14 - Lee brings the score closer as Crash wins original screenplay. Good try Lee!

10:21 - Lee wins another with Brokeback for directing by Ang Lee. They both have the name Lee. I'm really hungry.

10:24 - What a shocker - Crash beats out Brokeback for best picture. Does the academy have something against sheep. Oh well, nice try Lee. I think we'll take a root beer flavor, so send it over any time.

Here are the final tallies - Us - 10, Lee - 7, Duddles 7.

See you guys next year, in the Shnood!
In the SHNOOD!
lee
No Pants Bean

Well done, well done

Post by lee »

Hey Shnoodles...

Thanks for the play by play! It was so funny! I was able to relive all the Oscar glory right along with you.

I can't believe I tied DUDDLES! Wah.

What a rip off... Brokeback got screwed. But pretty exciting. You had some good picks. I'm glad the McFlurry wasn't determined by random short films we hadn't seen.

Preparing the root beer flavoring as we speak...
lee
No Pants Bean

best moment?

Post by lee »

Hey guys... what was your favorite part (or joke) of the night?
PB
No Doubt Moses Bean

might nice

Post by PB »

Hey Shnoodles... that post was way too long. Can I get an MP3 of that?!

Cha-ching!

I'm impressed that you bolded the winners.
Pawn
Almost Cool Enough to Talk to Schlop

squawk squeak

Post by Pawn »

THE PENGUINS was the best part!!

They gave their speach IN PENGUIN! And then made a penguin/tuxedo joke!!

I'm DEFINITELY voting to save Antarctica in 2041.
Baby Schlop
Regular Bean

Pen-genious

Post by Baby Schlop »

Yeah... penguin speech was definitely the best!

They brought their own stuffed penguins!!! Is it the first time a stuffed animal got to accept an Oscar? I want to know!

I want to buy one of those stuffed penguins!
Rafiki
Prolific Bean

Vice President in the Shape of a Girl

Post by Rafiki »

I must admit I was forced to audibly guffaw at the Bjork/Dick Cheney joke.

Quite the chuckler.
Bunny Spotter of the First Order
PB
No Doubt Moses Bean

a side thought

Post by PB »

What would've happened if Murderball won?

Do they have ramps at the Kodak Theater?
lee
No Pants Bean

Penguins have it!

Post by lee »

Yeah, me and Schlop and Nibs also agree that Penguins were the best part.

Shnoodles... that cracked me up when you said "Duddles will be insufferable if he wins..." HOO HOO HOO!!!!
Shnoodles

About that time again...

Post by Shnoodles »

Hey you Oscar guys,

That's right - it's Oscar season! The awards have just been announced - today! Do you San Fran bears want to challenge us to another pick 'em contest this year? We've only seen one of the movies (The Departed) but that won't stop us from winning. I'll try to put up a list of the nominees later. Ellen Degeneres is hosting this year... funny!
In the SHNOOD!
Shnoodles

The list!

Post by Shnoodles »

Hey you Oscar guys,

Here is the official list of all the nominees! Unfortantely I don't think I'll be able to live shnood the telecast like I did last year, but hopefully I can still watch it and chat about it later.

http://a.oscar.abc.com/media/2007/image ... 2007_2.pdf
In the SHNOOD!
lee
No Pants Bean

oooh

Post by lee »

That's pretty exciting about those nominations.

I can't believe Blood Diamond got so many nominations. I can't believe I still haven't seen that!!

I'm glad LMS got a BP nom. That was definitely the BP of the 06.

Looks like Schlop's Labyrinth didn't do too shabby either. I still need to see that one too.

So many movies...so little time...