The Hunger Schlops

Post here on any books you've finished or heard about or want to read. This will hopefully enhance the educational value of our forum.
Nibs
Schlopstakovich Superstar

The Hunger Schlops

Post by Nibs »

I heard Gulliver might be reading The Hunger Schlops with Peaches!!

He has only 18 more days until the movie comes out!

Personally, I am excited to talk about all the good foodstuffs in the book. Maybe we can have a side thread about what our favorite snacks are from the book.

Good luck, Gulliver!
Sneeches
Legendary Bean

Peachmares

Post by Sneeches »

PEACHES!!!!!!

DONT READ THE HUNGER SCHLOPS!!!!!!!!!

It is really TOO SCARY!!!!

Especially the part NEAR THE END!!!!

If you have to read it you should wear a BLINDFOLD!!!
Gulliver
SNEECHES' friend

Chapter One

Post by Gulliver »

Hi.

Thanks for starting this thread Nibs. We just finished Chapter One of The Hunger Schlops. So far I think I have a lot in common with Katniss. I think Lee probably meant to match me with Katniss instead of Schlop since Schlop is more like Effie who has pinkish hair and a scary white grin. I also met the characters Madge, Prim, and Gale. Katniss and Gale went fishing and then they went to the reaping where they read Prim's name.

We also met a cat named Buttercup who has yellow fur so that is probably PB's role.

As far as foodstuffs go they had goat cheese and bread and blueberries.

So far it is off to a pretty good start.
Last edited by Gulliver on Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Answer: This character studied medicine, "knowing it would be useful in long voyages"

Question: Who is Gulliver?
Gulliver
SNEECHES' friend

Katnibs

Post by Gulliver »

I just realized that Katniss sounds similar to Katnibs... so should Nibs be Katniss?
Answer: This character studied medicine, "knowing it would be useful in long voyages"

Gulliver
SNEECHES' friend

Chapter Two

Post by Gulliver »

Hi.

In Chapter Two Katniss volunteers to take Prim's place in the Hunger Schlops. Peeta is selected as the boy and it turns out that he once gave some loaves to Katniss. The loaves had nuts and raisins. They sound like good loaves and Duddles was definitely excited about this part of the book since he likes loaves.

Nibs
Schlopstakovich Superstar

Loaves!

Post by Nibs »

HOO HOO HOO!!!

Gulliver, that's so cool that you are reading The Hunger Schlops one chapter at a time!!

Yeah, the loaves!! Me and Lee liked the loaves a lot too!! Hoooooooo!!

Lee and I are halfway through Book 2 (Catching Schlop) and we just read a chapter in which there were some FUZZY SQUIRRELS!! Hooray!!

Good call on PB being Buttercup, burn! Hoooo hooo!
Gulliver
SNEECHES' friend

Chapter Three

Post by Gulliver »

Hi.

In Chapter Three Katniss meets with her family before leaving by train to the Capitol. She also gets a bag of cookies from the baker but it is unclear if she eats them. Then she gets a pin from Madge. It is a pin of a Schlopingjay with is a bird that can sing human songs. She also sees the other competitors in the Hunger Schlops and Duddles got really excited to hear about a girl from District 5 who has sleek red hair and is fox-faced.

Gulliver
SNEECHES' friend

Nibsler-free zone

Post by Gulliver »

Hi Nibs.

No spoilers about the fuzzy squirrels please.

Gulliver
SNEECHES' friend

Chapter Four

Post by Gulliver »

Hi.

In Chapter Four it is revealed what happened to the cookies that I mentioned from Chapter Three. It turns out Katniss did not eat the cookies and now she throws them out the window of the train because she doesn't want to develop feeling for Peeta.

There is a lot of food in this chapter. It explains how Katniss learned to gather food in the forest and she is even named after a tuber. I am not sure what a tuber is but I think they look like mini-nibs. They also eat a fancy breakfast on the train that includes hot chocolate.

Also Haymitch agrees that he will try to help Katniss and Peeta in the games. Katniss mentions something about a Cornucopia but it is not explained... maybe we will find out what it is in the next chapter and if it has anything to do with food.
Last edited by Gulliver on Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gulliver
SNEECHES' friend

Chapter Five

Post by Gulliver »

Hi.

In Chapter Five Katniss gets ready for the opening ceremonies with the help of her stylist Cinna. He lights her with a synthetic fire and she and Peeta are the stars of the parade. On the food front she gets to eat a nice lunch with Cinna that includes chicken and orange chunks with green peas and honey-colored pudding. It sounds pretty good but maybe it would have been better with some of Lee's special corn bread that is prepared extra-thin. Bon Schloppetit.

Gulliver
SNEECHES' friend

Chapter Six

Post by Gulliver »

Hi.

In Chapter Six there is lots of foodstuffs. Katniss is staying at the Training Center where you can whisper a food and then it appears in less than a minute. Katniss eats goose liver which is gross but also puffy bread which Duddles got very excited about. I think Schlop had puffy bread once but the puff went poof.

Then there is a meal of mushroom soup, tomatoes the size of peas, roast beef in a green sauce, and blue grapes. The blue grapes I think are the best food mentioned yet.

Katniss also recognizes a red-haired girl who she saw get captured in the woods, but mostly this chapter was about food.

Gulliver
SNEECHES' friend

Chapter Seven

Post by Gulliver »

Hi.

In Chapter Seven Katniss eats a good breakfast of eggs, sausages, purple melon, and hot grain in beef stew. She also eats batter cakes covered in orange preserves. I consulted with DJ and he feels strongly that batter cakes might be the same as pancakes. Also Katniss dips some rolls in hot chocolate which I might try for breakfast tomorrow.

Katniss and Peta begin their training for the games, and Peeta explains the differences in loaves from each district. For example, District 4 has a fish-shaped loaf that is tinted green with seaweed while District 11 has a crescent-moon loaf with seeds. Peeta knows a lot about loaves, almost as much as Duddles.

All in all, a pretty eventful chapter.

Gulliver
SNEECHES' friend

Chapter Eight

Post by Gulliver »

Hi.

In Chapter Eight Katniss is excited after getting the highest score from the Gamemakers. She gets to eat a stew with lamb chunks and dried plums on a bed of wild rice along with an orange juice. Also Haymitch has a pork chop which he dunks in his wine.

Things take a twist at the end when it's revealed that Peeta now wants to be coached separately. I don't know what to make of it.

Gulliver
SNEECHES' friend

Chapter Nine

Post by Gulliver »

Hi.

In Chapter Nine Katniss is nervous about doing her interview - but luckily she is able to talk about food when Caesar asks her what's impressed her the most and she says the lamb stew from the last chapter (with the dried plums).

Then Peeta reveals that he has a crush on Katniss is front of everyone. I wonder how Gale feels about that?

Gulliver
SNEECHES' friend

Chapter Ten

Post by Gulliver »

Hi.

In Chapter Ten it turns out that Peeta only said he liked Katniss in order to make her more likeable so she can get sponsors. Peeta also says he wants to show the Capitol that they don't own him during the Games. I wonder what he will do?

The games will begin in the next chapter and I am very nervous about what will happen. In this chapter Katniss ate a cream and rose-petal soup, but I am worried there won't be foodstuffs to report from now on. It said that sponsors can give gifts during the games so maybe they can give food?