Baths for Bears

This forum focuses on how cool Schlop is and other subtopics as such.
lee
No Pants Bean

Baths for Bears

Post by lee »

This is an important question for the group.

I'm thinking about giving Schlop a bath. Wondering what tips anyone has (pillow case size, amount of time in dryer, etc).

Has anyone had a bath lately? Did it go well?
Snuffles
King of the World Bean

The BIG question

Post by Snuffles »

Wow - this is a really serious topic with a lot of issues to address.

Congratulations on deciding to give Schlop a bath! That is a big first step. I know it can be scary for the bear going into a bath, but the end result is usually poofier fur and whiter feetpads.

The current consensus among bears in the know is that washer/dryers are the best way to go. Results on sink washings from the Snowy incident show that prolonged waterlogging of the beansack can be a problem - leading to excessive bloating and dampness. Famously, a washer/dryer was used to help Duddles immediately after the infamous OJ accident (which he doesn't like to talk about). But since you have time to mull the options - here is what to think about.

How many pillowcases. Last time Duddles used 4 pillowcases but never felt any water - so this is too much. But we've all heard about bears getting loose when using just one pillowcase. I would recommend two normal pillow cases.

Other things in the laundry. Just having a bear can lead to a lot of jostling. I recommend think like sheets or quilts to buffer the spin cycles.

Other bears in the bag? Resist the urge to put more than one bear in a pillowcase at a time. They might want to keep eachother company, but single bears allow for less jostling.

Schlop's skinny legs and all. Bears with hard noses are worried about nose problems, while Schlop bears are more worried about tugging at their longer limbs. Luckily - I have neither of these concerns! But by using added padding in the wash, these problems can be minimized.

A test run. Finally - it is wise to try out the whole scenario on another bear before hand. This way you can adjust the washing and drying times accordingly.

Well, there is a lot to think about. Lately we here have been thinking about going through a bath too. Unfortunately new washer/dryers have been installed that look very dangerous since they tumble vertically. Let us know how it goes. Take a before and after picture!
"Thong-the-thong-thong-thong"
- the Thong Song
Gulliver
SNEECHES' friend

Schlop looked funny

Post by Gulliver »

Remember the last time Schlop took a bath, and he came out with his ears pressed against his head and his head was all shrunken! He looked so funny!
Answer: This character studied medicine, "knowing it would be useful in long voyages"

Question: Who is Gulliver?
Nibs
Schlopstakovich Superstar

Photo Friendly

Post by Nibs »

As keeper of the forum, I assure you that before and after pictures (no matter how hideous) will be taken.

Uh oh... Schlop's giving me that look....
Nibs

Come to think, though....

Post by Nibs »

Snuffles wrote: But we've all heard about bears getting loose when using just one pillowcase.
...I'm actually new here you know.

What *shudder* happens when a bear gets loose?
Gulliver
SNEECHES' friend

Re: Come to think, though....

Post by Gulliver »

Nibs wrote:...I'm actually new here you know.

What *shudder* happens when a bear gets loose?
Gets eaten by socks.
Answer: This character studied medicine, "knowing it would be useful in long voyages"

Question: Who is Gulliver?
Muffins
Schloptastic Bean

I'm having static problems

Post by Muffins »

Hey guys, ever since that last bath, I've noticed that my fur has been unusually staticy. I'm shooting out so many electric shocks that it looks like the scene when Frankenstein comes to life! I think Lee was a little scared of me when she came to visit because I might electroshock her. Nibs, do you know anything that would help with this? I'll try anything!
"You have no life... Writing about Smurfs... GO EAT A MUFFIN OR SOMETHING!"
lee
No Pants Bean

Pop Pop, Fizz Fizz

Post by lee »

Muffins,

I actually have some advice on this matter. You should go to the detergent aisle of your local Shnucks and buy a can of "Static Guard." It "instantly removes static." I use it on my clothes when they get really staticy and it works! It doesn't smell bad either. Just a few spritzes and you should be back in business, or back in the muffin business as it were.

I'll keep my ears open for any home remedies as well.

Good luck with that. I know it can be frustrating to be zapping everything.
Petri
Majestic Bean

Fair dinkum

Post by Petri »

That sounds like good advice Lee. You know it's weird but I've never had any problems with static electricity myself. Not sure why. I guess I'm just special that way.

Oh, I've gotta go get Duddles for his foot bath!
Duddles' deeds be done.
Muffins
Schloptastic Bean

Thanks Lee!

Post by Muffins »

That sounds pretty good. Do you think I should worry about the spritzes getting on my nose? What about my eyes? Perhaps I should wear some goggles.

Ok, I'll try it and report back!
"You have no life... Writing about Smurfs... GO EAT A MUFFIN OR SOMETHING!"
Nibs

Non-stick muffins?

Post by Nibs »

Any luck on that yet, Muffins?

I'm worried static-ness is a hereditary trait to brown bears, like us. I'm so silky smooth... I don't know what I'd do if I ever got staticy.
Shnoodles

Muffins

Post by Shnoodles »

Hey Nibs, Muffins is currently indisposed at the moment. (He's eating some beans) Lately I have noticed less staticy shocks coming from his direction, but a lot more gaseous emissions... I wonder why? I don't think it has anything to do with brown bears though. Look at me - I am as brown as brown and I have never shocked anyone that didn't deserve it. Later!
In the SHNOOD!
Nibs

shocking news

Post by Nibs »

Hey Muffins,

I was just curious if you ever tried that anti-static spray. I thought up another solution to your staticness (other than ignoring it and hoping it goes away).

You can get Bounce dryer-sheets. You put one in the dryer with each load and it makes everything come out static-free. Lee has used it for years, it's a good trick. So maybe if you rewash Muffins and then dry him with a dryer sheet, it will do the trick.

Just a thought.
Snowy
Prolific Bean

Bath time

Post by Snowy »

Whoa.... there's a "baths for bears" thread..... crazy, man....

It's pretty full even.... whoa....

Anyway... Nibs wanted me to say.... I took a bath the other day...

Enjoy, dudes...

http://picasaweb.google.com/nibskebab/SnowyBath
Nibs

Splash!

Post by Nibs »