The Shnooden Compass

This category is all about MOVIES! Rumors, celebrity gossip, recent sightings, Oscar hopefuls- let it all spill out here.
Shnoodles
Schlopstakovich Superstar

The Shnooden Compass

Post by Shnoodles »

Hey you guys! Everyone's favorite book with polar bears on the cover is going to be a movie in 2007. Will the movie have polar bears on the poster? We can only wait and see.

Anyshnood, Nicole Kidman has already signed on to play Some Lady. Exciting. I wish it was 2007 already...
In the SHNOOD!
Shnoodles

Shnooden news

Post by Shnoodles »

Hey you Shnooden Compass guys,

This movie is really getting a lot of buzz and it isn't even out yet! There is a big controversy swirling around the fact that they changed one of the polar bears' names from Iofur Raknison to Ragnar Sturlusson. Wow! What an outrage. They say that they changed it to make it easier for the audience to understand. Does this remind anyone else of a certain incident involving one ... Noogie Kingston?!? Heh heh.
In the SHNOOD!
Shnoodles

Buzz buzz

Post by Shnoodles »

Hey you Shnooden guys,

I can see things are a little quite in this thread - maybe this news will get more of you excited: Did you know that James Bond (Daniel Craig) and the Bond Girl (Eva Green) are in the movie? Interesting, huh?
In the SHNOOD!
Shnoodles

Shnooden previews

Post by Shnoodles »

Hey you Shnooden guys,

The preview is finally here! Looks like they are milking the Lord of the Rings too - right Lee? If you watch it you can also see the polar bear.

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/thegoldencompass.html
In the SHNOOD!
Shnoodles

Shnooden... controversy?

Post by Shnoodles »

Hey you Shnooden Compass guys,

Looks like there is quite a controversy brewing over this film... and it's not even about changing that bear's name!
Pullman's books also include a fair amount of what has been perceived to be anti-Catholic rhetoric; in the first book, for instance, the church is in the business of kidnapping children and conducting some rather unpleasant experiments on them.

Entertainment Weekly asked Compass star Nicole Kidman how much Vatican-bashing we can expect to see on the big screen. The actress responded:

"It has been watered down a little...I was raised Catholic, the Catholic Church is part of my essence," Kidman said.

"I wouldn't be able to do this film if I thought it were at all anti-Catholic."
Phew, glad we got that behind us! Now on to more important matters like polar bears.
In the SHNOOD!
Shnoodles

Shnooden News

Post by Shnoodles »

Hey you Shnooden guys,

There is a big article about how great the Shnooden Compass is going to be in the Shnood York Times today:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/30/movie ... l?ref=arts

It says that most of the work was on making the animal companions for each person... like golden monkeys! Cool!
In the SHNOOD!
Nibs

Quite the expense account

Post by Nibs »

Hey Shnoodles,

Sorry to bust in on your thread here- you've been doing such a good job keeping it going!

I just heard that this movie is 30 MILLION DOLLARS over budget! That's SO much!

Do you think they can make it up and still be profitable?

Man, who knew polar bears were so expensive. They should've just hired DJ as a stunt double- would've been cheaper! Plus they can pay him in PANCAKES!!! :)

Right, Shnoodles?
Shnoodles

Meet your daemons!

Post by Shnoodles »

Hey you Shnooden guys (and Nibs),

Now on the Shnooden Compass website you can answer 20 questions to see what your daemon is! I did it and my daemons was a whippet... cool!

http://www.goldencompassmovie.com/

That's crazy about the budget Nibs. But I think this movie will make a lot of money and maybe the polar bears will be nominated for some Oscars!
In the SHNOOD!
lee
No Pants Bean

friendly jackal?

Post by lee »

Hey Shnoodles!

Whoa, what's a whippet? Can it fly? I hope it's friendly!

I just took the test. My daemon is named Boreallus and he is a Jackal Daemon. Is that GOOD? He looks pretty fuzzy. Was he in the books?

I wonder if Duddles daemon is a polar bear!

Cool test though, thanks Shnoods!!
Shnoodles

Whippet... whippet good!

Post by Shnoodles »

Hey Lee!

A whippet is a dog! They could tell that I liked dogs... cool, huh?

Good job getting a jackal - I was worried you were gonna get a MOTH and freak out!
In the SHNOOD!
Shnoodles

Back at it again with the Golden Shnoods!

Post by Shnoodles »

Hey you Shnooden Compass guys!

Whoa - a lot of time seems to have passed since the first movie came out. It turns out Nibs was quite prescient to be concerned about the movie going over budget - the movie didn't do so well and none of the sequels were ever made. It was a real set back for polar bears in films.

But good news is on the horizon! Lee's dear friend Lin has stepped up and is single-handedly making a Shnooden Compass series for the BBC - with a little help from some X-men including James McAvoy and the little girl Wolverine from Logan. There will be 8 episodes in the first season. Cool!

Lin likes the Shnooden Compass because when he was dating Vanessa they bonded over reading the books together. They also read the Dark Tower books so maybe Lin can rescue that into a TV show next. I know Gulliver would appreciate it.

Anyshnood, I can't wait for the show to come out. Hopefully they will have a snazzy website where we can get daemons, right Lee? I wonder if I will still get a whippet?
In the SHNOOD!
Shnoodles

Lin == Lee

Post by Shnoodles »

In the SHNOOD!
Nibs

Bad form

Post by Nibs »

Hi Shnoodles,

I know this response isn't as exciting as the other posts today but I just wanted to say I agree with you and Harumph!

If that EW reporter has a problem with Lin, he should take it up with us first! No need for him to tarnish Lin's good name!

To him I say: Good day to you, sir!
Shnoodles

Pronoun check

Post by Shnoodles »

Hey you Nibs,

I see you are as riled up as I am about that reporter disparaging Lin's legacy in front of a crowd!

However I do think Kristen is a she-reporter, so you would say "Good to you, Madam!"

And FWIW my pronouns are He/Him/Shnoods
In the SHNOOD!