Recipes

Food is a very important topic on these forums. We now have a new category devoted entirely to it (including any and all muffins, pancakes, and pastries).
Shnoodles
Schlopstakovich Superstar

Recipes

Post by Shnoodles »

Hey you guys.

Here in this thread we can post recipes and then report back on how they turn out once we make them. It would also be cool to have pictures of how they look in the end.

For starters, here is the best brownie recipe determined by America's test kitchen. Yeah!

5 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
2 ounces unsweetend chocolate, chopped
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into quarters
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
3 large eggs
1.25 cups (8.75 ounces) sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt

Okay, we will try this recipe and if it is good I will type up the instructions for Nibs to try.
In the SHNOOD!
Shnoodles

Covered in cocoa powder

Post by Shnoodles »

Hey you brownie guys, I just got back from the store (Youch is it hot outside!) and managed to find all the brownie ingredients. The hardest thing to find was the vanilla extract, but I was able to resist the temptation of one of those quick and easy brownie mixes and eventually found it. Also, I accidentally spilled some cocoa powder on my fur, but luckily it blends right in. Okay, I think I will start the brownie making process pretty soon. Cool!
In the SHNOOD!
Shnoodles

Brownie making!

Post by Shnoodles »

This brownie making is tough - there is chocolate everywhere. Peaches is covered in chocolate. Okay, Gulliver is whisking, Muffins is cracking the eggs, Snuffles is measuring out the flour - careful Snuffles! Oh no, now everything is covered in flour. It's okay, there is just one ingredient left - the vanilla extract. Petri go ahead and put that in. Petri? Oh my god, where is Petri!?! We need the vanilla extract now! Eeaaaaarrrrrrghhhh!
In the SHNOOD!
Petri
Majestic Bean

My bad

Post by Petri »

Whoops, sorry Shnoodles, I was on the computer listening to some music and had the volume up to loud... guess I didn't hear you. Do you think the brownies will still be okay without the vanilla extract? I hope so.
Duddles' deeds be done.
Shnoodles

That's okay

Post by Shnoodles »

I think they will still be okay Petri. I just took them out of the oven and they look sort of like brownies look (I think?). We can eat them in 2 hours after letting them cool at room temperature.
In the SHNOOD!
DJ
Un-bean-lievable

Extract poisoning

Post by DJ »

Lee once told me that if you eat brownies without the vanilla extract you will die from poisoning. Maybe we should go get some pancakes?
Zupancakes
Shnoodles

*Smack smack smack*

Post by Shnoodles »

Hey you guys, *smack smack* these are pretty chewy. Hmm, maybe we should try again and this time add the vanilla extract. Also, we added the flour to early and didn't stir enough. We can try again next weekend!
In the SHNOOD!
Nibs

HOLY CRAP!

Post by Nibs »

OMG!!!!!

You guys *really* made BROWNIES!?!?!?!

Oh wow, golly, gee, that is SO exciting... wow.... REAL brownies...yum... oh man i wish i was there...

Do you have any left over?
lee
No Pants Bean

Brownie Ho

Post by lee »

Hey Shnoodles,

Wow... I'm so impressed you guys made brownies.

That's CRAZY how the vanilla extract was so hard to find at the store but then you found it and then Petri wasn't there to put it in at the right time.... man, what a mess! I'm impressed you got brownies at all.

Nibs is freaking out over here and bouncing up and down... and off the walls.

I want to know what the top was like? Was it flaky? Mushy? Crunchy? Yummy? Hopefully.

Good job, Shnoodles!
Shnoodles

Elizabeth Barrett Brownies

Post by Shnoodles »

Hey you guys. Indeed there are leftover brownies Nibs, I made 7 baggies with 2 small brownies each. Each bear will get a baggie, with Petri sharing with Duddles and mini-nibs sharing with Snuffles. Sorry Nibs, I can make you a baggie when we try again next weekend though. Also Lee the top was a bit too flaky and some off the brownies crumbled when I cut them out. Any suggestions on improving that?

Well, we tried a new dinner recipe tonight. I thought it would be good - it involved baking the following: fresh corn from the cob, cannellini beans, chicken breasts stuffed with bananas, heavy cream mixed with white wine, bacon, and butter. But it didn't look anything like the picture and tasted kind of bland. I also *hic* think that mini-nibs added *hic* too much of the *hic* wine. Oh well, we will try a new recipe next weekend.
In the SHNOOD!
Snuffles
King of the World Bean

Multi Grain Cheerios!

Post by Snuffles »

Hey Lee? Guess what, I got some Multi Grain Cheerioes just like you! Some of the cheerios are different colors - is this normal or did my cheerios go bad?

Today for breakfast I had a bowl of cheerios and added some frozen blueberries.
"Thong-the-thong-thong-thong"
- the Thong Song
Shnoodles

Erm...

Post by Shnoodles »

Okay guys, we are gonna try to roast this chicken.

Okay, um... Petri you have to remove the giblets. Eww.

Snuffles you have to insert the boiled lemon and thyme into the ... cavity. Ergh...

DJ you need to massage the olive oil into the skin... Yeesh.

This is gross.

Maybe we should have just gotten some McNuggets to go...

Oh my god Petri what is that? That is NOT a giblet?
In the SHNOOD!
Nibs

Holy Chickens!

Post by Nibs »

OH NOS!!!!

WHERE'S PETRI?!?!??!

Did you guys make it? A WHOLE Chicken?! That's insanity. Who do you think you are, the fat Blues Brother??
lee
No Pants Bean

Multi Grain Goodness

Post by lee »

Snuffles wrote:Hey Lee? Guess what, I got some Multi Grain Cheerioes just like you! Some of the cheerios are different colors - is this normal or did my cheerios go bad?

Today for breakfast I had a bowl of cheerios and added some frozen blueberries.
Hey Snuffles!

Somehow I missed this posting... I'm so sorry!!

You really got the multigrain cheerios?? Yeah, they are different colors. What do you think? Yummy? What's your favorite color?

I'd be scared to add blueberries. Do you add them before or after the milk? Ever think about adding strawberries? Dj wants you to add shnozzberries I heard.

Thanks for trying out my recommendation!
Snuffles
King of the World Bean

Blue to the berry

Post by Snuffles »

Hi Lee! I had some more cheerios again just now! It really is great with frozen blueberries. I add them to the dry cheerios and just start snacking. The blueberries start out frozen but by the last few bites they are unfrozen! What's this about milk? I'm lactose intolerant - I thought you were too? If you aren't then maybe I should try it with milk like you... let me know.

That sounds like fun with the strawberries. The only thing is if I got some strawberry juice on me it would really stand out. I'm okay with the blueberry juice since it will blend right in with my natural coat color. I guess DJ could have strawberries on his cheerios.

Shnoodles said we are going to try to making brownies again today. Yay!
"Thong-the-thong-thong-thong"
- the Thong Song