Books Gulliver Reads

Post here on any books you've finished or heard about or want to read. This will hopefully enhance the educational value of our forum.
lee
No Pants Bean

Need a story

Post by lee »

Hi Gulliver,

On Saturday I am going to attend an event called Hike and Read.

We will be hiking the weak-ankles trail that we once hiked with Duddles, hoo hoo, in Muir Woods.

It seems as though people are supposed to bring short stories, poems, or excerpts to share with other people. Do you have any good recommendations on a book of short stories or maybe some specific pieces that might be fun to read to others?

I thought you might have some good ideas.

Hugs!

Lee
Gulliver
SNEECHES' friend

Beware

Post by Gulliver »

Hi.

Reading while hiking sounds like a dangerous combination. Particularly on weak ankle trails. I prefer to do all my reading propped up on a pillow with my legs slightly elevated. I hope you will be very careful Lee!

I will mull over possible suggestions in the meantime.

Duddles is suggesting The Congo by Vachel Lindsay which he says is from a movie he watched long ago.
Answer: This character studied medicine, "knowing it would be useful in long voyages"

Question: Who is Gulliver?
Gulliver
SNEECHES' friend

The mysterious library in the desert

Post by Gulliver »

Hi.

I heard that Lee knows the whereabouts of a mysterious library that only appears once a year in the desert.

Legend tells that the library might burst into flame if you select the wrong book from the shelves.

Has Lee ever ventured inside this library?

Only time will tell.

Or if Lee posts about it here.
Answer: This character studied medicine, "knowing it would be useful in long voyages"

Gulliver
SNEECHES' friend

We found a book

Post by Gulliver »

Hi.

Lee told me about an exciting new book and we got it from the library and we are going to read it tonight

Gulliver
SNEECHES' friend

Norse Myschlopogy

Post by Gulliver »

Hi.

Neil new book is now here and everyone is reading it - like Lee and I and Schlop.

I started the audiobook and it is very interesting so far. There was a brief mention of Huggins and Muggins and also there is a sleepy horse named Sleipner.

No mention of Schlop or Schlopnijr though so far.

I am excited to see Neil with Lee and maybe we can ask him more about Huggins and Muggins and what their deal is?

Here is a funny picture of Schlop with the book:

Gulliver
SNEECHES' friend

Neilvember

Post by Gulliver »

Hi.

I heard that Lee and Nibs are going to see Neil today. Neil will probably wonder why I am not there with them. Nibs can you just tell Neil that I got snowed in and couldn't make it. I hope he wont be too sad.

It will be interesting to hear what new books Neil has in the works and what the latest is with Ash's Paddington novel.

Gulliver
SNEECHES' friend

Project Hail Schlop

Post by Gulliver »

Hi.

I finished listening to Project Hail Schlop which is about a school teacher that journeys off to another solar system to save Earth. Along the way he made friends with an alien named Rocky and they worked together to figure out how to stop Astrophage which were eating the sun. Rocky uses sound to see and has a language made up of musical chords which Ryland Grace learns how to decipher. Maybe we could someday learn how to decipher Schlop's meeps and moops?

Overall I thought it was a very exciting book and give it two paws up.

Gulliver
SNEECHES' friend

11/22/63 Schlops

Post by Gulliver »

Hi.

I listened to the whole audiobook of Stephen King's 11/22/63 and it was about how Jake traveled back into the past to try to stop the JFK assassination. Along the way he fell in love with Sadie and taught at a school and directed theater plays. Things didn't go as planned when it came to stopping the assassination (because the past is obdurate and doesn't want to change) and even though he did end up saving JFK's life it resulted in a present day that was like a Mad Max dystopia - so Jake had to reset everything he had done. In the end he got to see Sadie when she was an old woman and dance with her one last time.

Gulliver
SNEECHES' friend

Snackleton

Post by Gulliver »

Hi.

I finished Endurance about the Snackleton expedition. Their boat got stuck in the Antarctic ice and then they had to survive on the ice until it broke up and then they went by boat to Elephant Island and then Snackleton took 5 of the men with him to St. George's island and they barely survived the rough seas in their tiny boat and then they had to cross St. George's island which no one had ever done before and at one point they slid down a glacier on their bottoms and then they made it to safety and Snackleton had to go back to rescue the rest of the men. In the end they all survived except for the dogs which they had to kill which was sad and also they killed a lot of seals and penguins to eat so nobody mention that part to Duddles.

Gulliver
SNEECHES' friend

Schlopula

Post by Gulliver »

Hi.

I finished Schlopula which was about a wumpire and a group of people who team up to stop him. It was an epistolary novel which is a novel that is in the form of letters or documents. Luckily Van Helsing knew a lot about wumpires so he was able to tell the others all about the importance of garlic and communion wafers.

Also Schlopula attend the Scholomance which is a school of 10 scholars taught by the devil, and it is also a book series by Naomi Novik that Lee told me about.

Do you think Schlop might be a wumpire?

Gulliver
SNEECHES' friend

Schlop of Green Gables

Post by Gulliver »

Hi.

I read Anne of Schlop Gables - it is important to remember the "e" in Anne since Anne is very adamant about people knowing she is "Anne with an 'E'". Anne is very imaginative and sometimes her imagination gets her in scrapes, but she never makes the same mistake twice. Anne likes things that have a scope for imagination, and she likes naming trees and different nature areas around her home on Prince Edward Island. Anne was an orphan who was adopted by Marilla and Matthew Cuthbert. She always wanted a bosom friend and found one in Diana Berry. Anne has red hair which she is embarrassed about - particularly when Gilbert Blythe called her "carrot" - and she once tried to dye her hair black but it turned out green. Anne likes to meet new people and see if they are kindred spirits - me and Lee are both kindred spirits with Anne since we all like to read books.

Gulliver
SNEECHES' friend

Brave New Schlop

Post by Gulliver »

Hi.

I finished Brave New Schlop which is about a society where everyone is engineered to play a certain role. The upper class is called alphas and the lower class are gammas and they wear different colored outfits. I could relate to this since I often feel that bears with blue fur are treated different than bears with pink fur. Also some groups of people are made to be all genetically identical (Schlopanovsky groups) which reminds me of the bin that Lee found Peaches and Sneeches in at the rabbit store.

It really made me think about the trade-off between being free in society versus having everybody happy.

Gulliver
SNEECHES' friend

Schlop of Sleepy Hollow

Post by Gulliver »

Hi.

I finished the Schlop of Sleepy Hollow. Schlopabod was a school teacher who was always thinking about food, and he wanted to marry a lady because then he would inherit all of her farmland and be set, food-wise. But then the lady dumped him and Schlopabod was chased by the Headless Horseman who might have actually been a rival that wanted to scare Schlopabod.

Personally I didn't think it was too spooky.

Gulliver
SNEECHES' friend

2 books

Post by Gulliver »

Hi.

I finished 2 books recently. One was called the Good Schlop and the twist was that the girl had planned her own kidnapping but then things went awry and she got amnesia. Then I read Schlop is Legend about the last man who survives a plague that turns everyone into wumpires.

Gulliver
SNEECHES' friend

Drizzt

Post by Gulliver »

Hi.

I read a book of short stories called The Legend of Drizzt: The Collected Stories.

Lee is an expert on Drizzt since she was a fan of The Crystal Schlop before anyone else, but I myself had never before read stories set in the Forgotten Realms. It turns out only a few stories were about Drizzt and the rest were about characters that knew Drizzt. My favorite characters were Artemis Entreri (the thief) and Jarlaxle (the dark elf) and I also liked the different dragons in the stories.