Pancakes

Food is a very important topic on these forums. We now have a new category devoted entirely to it (including any and all muffins, pancakes, and pastries).
DJ
Un-bean-lievable

Pancake Technician to the Rescue

Post by DJ »

Hello again pancake gang,

It appears another nibstagram influencer has decided to do a pancake photo-op - this time it is Rescue Bear. As a certified Pancake Technician I will now evaluate RB's pancake technique.

Problem #1 - RB is wearing a scarf which is dangerously close to getting some syrup on it! It is important to not wear any dangling or loose-fitting clothing when eating pancakes - such as scarves, ties, or capes. I myself prefer to eat my pancakes au naturel but you may use a bib if you are less experienced with syrup drips.

Problem #2 - RB has overlapped his pancakes instead of stacking them. One of the main benefits of pancakes is that they are stackable, and here RB is completely disregarding that feature - a major pancake faux pas. Remember - if your pancakes look like a Venn diagram your stack needs adjusting.
Zupancakes
DJ
Un-bean-lievable

Chris' at SLU

Post by DJ »

I heard that there is a Chris' Pancake House at SLU law school and that the students can go down and get pancakes without even leaving the building.

I think I will take the LSAT and fulfill my dream of becoming a pancake lawyer.
Zupancakes
DJ
Un-bean-lievable

Lin is wrong

Post by DJ »

We all remember when Jon Stewart went on reddit and declared waffles better than pancakes, and was subsequently removed from TV. Well, Lin has made a similar poor career choice after answering the very same query on the very same site:
Waffles. They got little boxes to catch the butter.
I pray the Pancake King shows you his mercy, Lin. For shame, for shame.
Zupancakes
DJ
Un-bean-lievable

The Danish kind

Post by DJ »

Quite interesting pancake news - it appears Nibs ventured into a Scandinavian brunch where he got some Danish pancakes.

This is quite shocking, and I know everyone is waiting for me to explain what exactly a Danish pancake is as the resident Pancake Expert.

Obviously I could explain what a Danish pancake is - quite easily in fact - but I think it would be nice to let Nibs have a go at explaining it. I wouldn't want to steal his pancake thunder, so to speak.
Zupancakes
PB
No Doubt Moses Bean

You better run, you better take cover

Post by PB »

Pancake thunder?

Isn't that what happens after DJ eats too many pancakes?

PB'd!
DJ
Un-bean-lievable

Pancakes - a learning process

Post by DJ »

Recently I watched the schlopumentary Jiro Dreams of Sushi and it really struck me how similar Jiro and I are - except that I study the art of making pancakes. We both are perfectionists striving for the perfect pancake (or sushi roll) who question whether we will ever achieve it. But the point is that you keep trying and get a little better each time.

Well today, we tried to make pancakes and things went a little wrong. We tried resting the batter in the fridge for 20 minutes which I think went okay. Then we had issues with flipping the first pancake and it had to be thrown out. That is expected - often you have to sacrifice the first pancake to the pancake gods.

The big issue is that I think the pan was too hot which caused the outer pancake to blacken before the inside of the pancake was fully cooked. It gave us all tummy trouble after eating which I suspect was due to under-cooked batter. Our plan going forward is to try heating at a lower temp to make sure the inside can get cooked fully.

Hopefully this wont discourage anyone from trying pancakes in the future!
Zupancakes
DJ
Un-bean-lievable

A bear named Pancake?!

Post by DJ »

It has come to my attention that RB (who famously failed to stack his pancakes) has a new friend who is a bear named - get this - Pancake!

Well, that is a crazy name for a bear. You can't just name a bear after a food, it leads to all sorts of problems like we have with Muffins. Plus if any bear is going to be named Pancake - it should be me!

It appears Pancake is something of a chef and even has their own whisk and spatula. I have to say I feel a little threatened as the resident Pancake Expert of the webs. I might need to start honing my pancake skills in case there ends up being a pancake showdown.

Zupancakes