Pancakes

Food is a very important topic on these forums. We now have a new category devoted entirely to it (including any and all muffins, pancakes, and pastries).
DJ
Un-bean-lievable

Puzzling Pancake Problem

Post by DJ »

Scientists are trying to solve an important problem about how to flip pancakes. Personally I like to eat the pancakes right after they are made so I never have enough to make a stack. Also I never have a problem with burnt pancakes. But it's good to see pancake research going on.

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic ... C_computer
Zupancakes
DJ
Un-bean-lievable

Crepes of Wrath

Post by DJ »

Nibs and Lee went to Honey Honey which has sweet and savory crepes. Nibs didn't order a crepe - probably because he couldn't eat a whole one. But when I come to visit me and Lee are gonna go and get some crepes there. I'm not sure what kind of crepe I will get but not the one with all the cheese on it. Very excited!
Zupancakes
DJ
Un-bean-lievable

Finally some pancakes news

Post by DJ »

I admit that things have been pretty slow on the pancake front lately.

But there is exciting pancake news afoot!

Apparently there is a great brunch place in New York where they make pancakes par excellence. Usually great pancake recipes are a closely guarded secret, but somehow Gulliver has found a tome that has the recipe and whatever pancake rituals go along with it.

I believe it looks something like this

Snuffles is being dispatched post haste to bring back this book, and we shall begin the making of cakes on a pan!
Zupancakes
DJ
Un-bean-lievable

The Daily Pancake

Post by DJ »

Jon Stewart was on reddit and he was asked the pressing question of the day - pancakes vs waffles:
Jon Stewart: I'm gonna say waffle. But it also depends on what you're talking about in terms of fillings. I feel that the waffle is... a strong conduit for a fruit-based or a sweet-based addition. It's somehow - in terms of waffle-to-filling ratio - is more robust.
That being said, you can't argue with a stackable food, such as the pancake.
I will no longer be watching his show.
Zupancakes
DJ
Un-bean-lievable

A Day for Cakes from the Pan

Post by DJ »

Today is Pancake Day 2015.

I'm not really sure how they decide what day is Pancake Day - it seems to move around a lot.

It's been awhile since I had a pancake.

Hint, hint.
Zupancakes
DJ
Un-bean-lievable

Pancake standards

Post by DJ »

Today I-Hop gave out free pancakes.

I went there one year and had the pancakes.

Let me just say, there is a reason they were free.

I hold myself to a higher pancake standard nowadays. I prefer to eat top notch pancakes - usually at expensive brunches at hotels where Marilyn Monroe filmed movies. That's just the kind of pancake circles I travel in.
Zupancakes
lee
No Pants Bean

HAPPIEST OF BIRTHDAYS

Post by lee »

Hm, I couldn't really find another thread that seemed appropriate so I'll just turn to this thread to wish a VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY to DJ and Muffins and the other bears who joined us on May 7!!!

(Maybe Shnoodles?)
DJ
Un-bean-lievable

Put a pumpkin on it

Post by DJ »

As you may already be aware I frequent an establishment called "Chris' Pancakes." I am not sure who Chris is but I do enjoy his pancakes.

Well today I got a very special flavor - it was pumpkin pancakes! This is what they call in the restaurant biz a 'seasonal item' and is very rare.

My verdict is that it was very tasty with a pleasant pumpkin-y cinnamon-y spice. Also instead of syrup there was a whipped butter that was very nice.
Zupancakes
DJ
Un-bean-lievable

Latka-razy

Post by DJ »

Latkas.

What are they?

I heard from Duddles that he thinks they are potato pancakes but he is an unreliable source.

I heard from Peaches who heard from Sneeches that Lee ate some and might also have obtained a secret recipe.

Still waiting for confirmation on this.

Things are suddenly very exciting on the pancake front.
Zupancakes
DJ
Un-bean-lievable

Cake Day

Post by DJ »

Today was Pancake Day 2017.

It is also called Shrove Tuesday - don't ask my why.

I heard Lee celebrated by eating a scallion pancake. I don't know what that is but I am very excited Lee participated in this most holy of pancake days.
Zupancakes
DJ
Un-bean-lievable

The Saga of the Bacon Pancakes

Post by DJ »

There is a show called Adventure Time (ask Lee about it, she knows) and there is a dog on that show and one time he made bacon pancakes and he also wrote a song about it. The lyrics are:
Bacon Pancakes
Making Bacon Pancakes
Take some bacon and I'll put it in a pancake
Bacon Pancakes That's what its gonna make
Bacon Pancakes
Here is the video

Then a bird and a girl sang the same song in this video although it is not clear to me the bird actually made bacon pancakes.
Zupancakes
DJ
Un-bean-lievable

Fluffy pancakes

Post by DJ »

In Japan they make very fluffy pancakes.

Don't believe me? See for yourself:

I personally think these pancakes would make a good seat for me when we watch Nibflix. Sans butter, of course.
Zupancakes
DJ
Un-bean-lievable

Patapoufcakes

Post by DJ »

Mister Patapouf is a furry creature of some sort that has gained notoriety posting on Nibstagram.

I haven't been paying him much mind until recently when he posted this pancake picture:
Now there are several things I should point out here as a certified pancake technician.

Number 1, the entire bottom of the plate is covered in syrup. Mister Patapouf is at serious risk of getting syrup on his paws. Most of the syrup should be on the pancake and not the plate people - I can't stress that enough.

Number 2, there are banana slices in between the pancakes. Toppings should go ON TOP of the pancakes - hence the name toppings. Rookie mistake there.

Besides these two dings, I still encourage Mister Patapouf to continue improving with his pancake practices.
Zupancakes
DJ
Un-bean-lievable

Split the crepe

Post by DJ »

Hi, I heard Peaches and Sneeches went out to brunch in Carlsbad and they split some crepes. I commend them on their order - in particular on getting Hollandaise sauce on the side since you never want to commit to an unknown sauce before tasting it first.
Zupancakes
DJ
Un-bean-lievable

Pancake Day

Post by DJ »

Wishing all you bears a joyous Pancake Day 2019.
Zupancakes