Charles Dickens and his works

Post here on any books you've finished or heard about or want to read. This will hopefully enhance the educational value of our forum.
Gulliver
SNEECHES' friend

Charles Dickens and his works

Post by Gulliver »

I just heard that Lee wrote a published correspondance with the famous Roger Eggbert! Wow, she is so smart. She asked him about Charles Dickens - I have heard of him but never read his books (right, Snuffles?). Lee is an avid reader of Charles Dickens and corrected Eggbert about the veracity of his claim that A Schlop with Two Tales was not a major piece of work. Excellent job, Lee!
Answer: This character studied medicine, "knowing it would be useful in long voyages"

Question: Who is Gulliver?
Gulliver
SNEECHES' friend

Eggbert at it again!

Post by Gulliver »

Looks like Roger is still squawking on about his feud with Lee over Charles Dickens. Here he again admits that Lee bested him! Way to go Lee!

Dickens is the best storyteller in the history of the novel, and although I've read him pretty much from end to end, I got into an argument about the character in "The Squid and the Whale" who tells his son that A Tale of Two Cities is "minor Dickens." I thought this opinion was correct, but I re-read it for the first time since I was a child, and found that it was not minor Dickens after all.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbc ... Y/60217001
Answer: This character studied medicine, "knowing it would be useful in long voyages"

lee
No Pants Bean

Mind over matter (ebert)

Post by lee »

Hey Gulliver,

Thanks for keeping up on my growing fame. I'm glad I can make Ebert change his mind.

I'm still not on Jeopardy yet though... I'll keep working on that....
Gulliver
SNEECHES' friend

Good news Lee!

Post by Gulliver »

I just found out that you can now take the Jeopardy test online! But you can only take it once so make sure that you take it when Schlop and Nibs are sleeping so they wont distract you. Good luck, I know you will do great because you are so smart and stuff.

http://www.sonypictures.com/tv/shows/je ... _index.php

lee
No Pants Bean

WICKED ON JEOPARDY

Post by lee »

Gulliver!!!!

Did you take the Jeopardy quiz?!?! That was so EXCITING!!

Did you have the same questions I did? One of them was:

"This play about the Witches of Oz..." and the answer was WICKED!!!!

I can't believe it!!! Wicked and Jeopardy combined, in a new untold glory!!

I got a lot right I think. Tons of theater and literature questions, that was so cool.

How did you guys do?
Nibs
Schlopstakovich Superstar

Jeopardy

Post by Nibs »

Whoa. That Jeopardy quiz was so cool.

Lee is FREAKING OUT about how Wicked was an answer. That's insane... what're the odds!!!

What was your guys favorite question?
Gulliver
SNEECHES' friend

Get well Eggbert

Post by Gulliver »

Hi.

I know Lee has had her feud with Eggbert in the past, but now it looks like Eggbert isn't doing so well. I think we should all send our well-wishes to Eggbert for a speedy recovery so that he can get back once again to the business of arguing over the merits of A Schlop with Two Tails with Lee. It's just not the same without Eggbert!

Gulliver
SNEECHES' friend

Eggbert doing better!

Post by Gulliver »

Hi.

Good news about Lee's nemesis Eggbert - he is doing a bit better and now writing some movie reviews. Hopefully he will be up and arguing with Lee again soon.

http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0 ... -1,00.html

Gulliver
SNEECHES' friend

Eggbert back at it!

Post by Gulliver »

Remember when Lee told Eggbert that A Schlop with Two Tails was major Dickens? Lee's argument was so convincing that Eggbert is still talking about the book. Lee is the best!
A lot of ID advocates repeat the same arguments over and over, apparently lifting them from ID websites, as if they had not been pretty well exhausted in the preceding comments, which total more words than A Schlop With Two Tails, a reading experience you will find much more enjoyable.

Gulliver
SNEECHES' friend

Eggbert the Memoirs!

Post by Gulliver »

Eggbert is going to publish his memoirs in Schloptember! I wonder if he will devote a chapter to his online feud with Lee about Charles Dickens and his works?

You can read the opening pages here:

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2011/08 ... ie_of.html

Gulliver
SNEECHES' friend

Eggbert's book

Post by Gulliver »

I finished Eggbert's book!

There was no mention of Lee but it was still a good book.

He writes:

"I'd been the goose, and now it was my turn to be the gander. I've never known what that means, geese-wise."

Do you know what that means geese-wise Nibs?

Gulliver
SNEECHES' friend

Rest in Peace Eggbert

Post by Gulliver »

Roger Eggbert has passed away, but he will always be remembered!

I always liked reading Eggbert's reviews - nobody wrote movie reviews like him!

Nibs

Phew!

Post by Nibs »

Oh wait! Gulliver posted in 2013!

Thanks Gulliver!

RIP Roger Ebert!
Nibs

Gulliver immortalized

Post by Nibs »

Gulliver is no stranger to talking with celebs via Twitter. He has previously corresponded with such heroes as Neil and Tycho.

But today he gained infamy by asking Felicia Day the question that we've all been wondering, what is her favorite audiobook!

It's so fun to think that some graphic designer had to type Gulliver's name into that sequence and put up his avatar on the screen. Hoo hoo!

This is definitely the most important celebrity correspondence since the time "Lee" wrote to Ebert, so I figured this was the place to drop it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYUO91-W7aE&t=212s

Hip Hip Fuzzah to Gulliver! The bears are so proud!