Books Gulliver Reads

Post here on any books you've finished or heard about or want to read. This will hopefully enhance the educational value of our forum.
Duddles
King of the World Bean

Hoo hoo

Post by Duddles »

Hoo hoo Nibs, I'll read with you hoo.

But you should know that I read at a very slow pace - in fact I am just about now finishing with Runaway Bunny. Also I take a lot of naps.

Does this book have any bunnies, perchance?
Where's Petri?
Gulliver
SNEECHES' friend

Muffins of the Calla

Post by Gulliver »

I'm starting to think this book should have been called 'Muffins of the Calla.' I mean I like muffins as much as the next bear - unless the next bear is Muffins who likes them way more than me, or unless it is DJ who seems to have a resentment towards them. What I'm trying to say is that muffins is fine and everything, but what about the important things like the Beam and the Turtle and Dinky? Here is the most recent muffin discussion:
Roland picked a pokeberry almost as big as the tip of his own finger and popped it into Eddie's mouth. "Does that taste like wax, Eddie?"

Eddie's eyes, cautious to begin with, suddenly widened. He swallowed, grinned, and reached for more. "Like cranberries, only sweeter. I wonder if Suze knows how to make muffins? Even if she doesn't, I bet Callahan's housekeeper -"
So there you have it - all anyone talks about is muffins, muffins, muffins. Sheesh.
Answer: This character studied medicine, "knowing it would be useful in long voyages"

Question: Who is Gulliver?
Gulliver
SNEECHES' friend

The Song of Schlopanna

Post by Gulliver »

Hey Nibs, thought you should know I finished the Muffins of the Calla. It looks like Roland has lost one member of his ka-tet but also picked up a new member. I too have gained a new member of my ka-tet who goes by the name Peaches (Don't worry, I am still the dinh). Together we are going to journey forward in our quest to find Dinky.

Onwards - to the Song of Schlopanna!
Answer: This character studied medicine, "knowing it would be useful in long voyages"

Nibs
Schlopstakovich Superstar

checking in

Post by Nibs »

Hey Gulliver,

I haven't heard much about Book 6 at all. Does it suck? Are you almost done?

Keep me posted! I'm still reading vicariously through you!!
Gulliver
SNEECHES' friend

The Muffin Song of Susannah

Post by Gulliver »

Well, I'm almost halfway through book the sixth and still no sign of Dinky, but muffins still seem to be on everyone's mind. Listen to this one from Susannah who is also Odetta and Detta and sometimes Mia...
Cat can have kittens in the oven, girl, but that won't ever make em muffins.
Sounds pretty profound I think. What does it mean Muffins?

Gulliver
SNEECHES' friend

O Discordia!

Post by Gulliver »

Hey Nibs,

Well I finally finished Book the Sixth - the Muffin Song of Schlopanna. I thought it was okay but nothing much happened, just building up to the finale with Dinky I suppose.

But I went just now to the library to get Book the Seventh and it wasn't there! This must be the evil work of the Crimson King (Schlop) trying to prevent me and my ka-tet from reaching Dinky. Well, he will have to do better than that, because I was able to locate the audio version, and now me and Peaches have 25 cds to listen to. We will reach Dinky, by book or by crook!

For the Prim and the White!

Gulliver
SNEECHES' friend

Dinky!!!

Post by Gulliver »

We found Dinky!!!

Huzzah!

Nibs
Schlopstakovich Superstar

DINKY AT LAST

Post by Nibs »

HUZZAH FOR DINKY!!!

Where was he, Gulliver?

I had my money on "in a tree." Sneeches had "karate school," whatever that means.
Gulliver
SNEECHES' friend

Sir Dinks-a-lot

Post by Gulliver »

Hey Nibs,

Sneeches is actually closer - he is at Breaker school. I hope Roland frees Dinky and lets him join his ka-tet. That would rule!

In a tree? Ha, that's funny! You're so wacky Nibs...

Gulliver
SNEECHES' friend

Gulliver Snacks to the Dark Tower came

Post by Gulliver »

Well, after many weeks of reading I finally made it to the Dark Tower and climbed all the way to the top! Like Roland, I accumulated my own ka-tet along the way but was cursed to see them fall so I could reach the Tower on my own (Peaches fell off the bed in the spider pit). Once I got to the Tower I was surprised to see that the Crimson King had gone mad and was on a balcony with a crate full of Sneetches which he started to throw, but Roland shot them all out of the sky.

There were a lot of adventures along the way, and luckily Dinky was one of the few who met Roland who did not die. But for those who did die, they are not really gone - for there are more worlds than these, as Jake Chambers once said. He says true, and we all say thank ya. Can I get a gawd-bomb, hallelujah! Yes, the ka-tet of nineteen and ninety-nine lives on, and mayhap they will forever, or at least until there is no Constant Reader left to hear the tale.

Well, I think I might take a break from reading for awhile, but I will find a new book to read sooner or later. Until then, you guys might want to check in on Petri's thread he is going create to blog about his reading of 'Little, Big.'

Remember guys:

I read not with my eyes. He who reads with his eyes has forgotten the face of his father.

I read not with my brain. He who reads with his brain has forgotten the face of his father.

I read with my heart.

Gulliver
SNEECHES' friend

Poetry

Post by Gulliver »

Hey,

Since Nibs is always trying to improve the educational value of these forums, I thought he might be interested in the poem that originally inspired the Dark Tower series. It is called 'Childe Roland to the Dark Tower came' and is by Robert Browning:
written in 1855, first published that same year in the collection entitled Men and Women. The title, which forms the last words of the poem, is a line from William Shakespeare's play King Lear. In the play Gloucester's son, Edgar, lends credence to his disguise as mad Tom by talking nonsense, of which this is a part. Shakespeare took inspiration from the fairy tale "Childe Rowland", although the poem has no direct connection to the tale. Browning claimed that the poem came to him, fully-formed, in a dream, and said of it, "When I wrote this, God and Browning knew what it meant. Now God only knows."
And you can read the poem here:

http://www.thedarktower.net/wiki/Main/C ... kTowerCame

Gulliver
SNEECHES' friend

Books Gulliver listens to!

Post by Gulliver »

Well - I went to the library to return the audio book... and I wasn't planning on getting anything new, honest! But then I was browsing the audio books section and saw that they had Coraline - as read by the author!

I just popped it in and it is really great! There is lots of songs in Coraline and now I get to hear Neil sing them! I can't wait to hear how he does all the voices...

Gulliver
SNEECHES' friend

You are not my mother and I want to go home

Post by Gulliver »

Hi.

I just finished the Coraline audio book. It was great! I highly recommend audio books as a way of reading books. It is much easier on the eyes and also you get less paper cuts on your paws.

I love the part where the actress says 'Is this a dagger before me?' and all the dogs shout "Yes!"

lee
No Pants Bean

I like Gulliver

Post by lee »

Hey Gulliver,

Good job finishing another book! You're a really good reader!

What do you think you'll read next? Nibs says you're reading Rule of Four but it is sorta crappy. That's too bad. Any good characters at least?

Me and Schlop were wondering if you think you might read those Ikari books?

Also, I was wondering if maybe you could give us some advice. See Schlop and I want to reread the whole Potter series before book the seventh comes out. But we're not sure when we should start so that we finish near the time of the new book. Any ideas?

Thanks Gulliver. Have a fuzzy day.
Gulliver
SNEECHES' friend

The Rule of Four Schlops

Post by Gulliver »

Hi Lee.

Thanks for the compliment. I am not actually reading the Rule of Four however. Peaches is reading it. He told me a bit about it.

Maybe I will read those Ikari Warrior books with you - I will have to see if it is at the library first.

Here is what you should do with the Harry Schlopper books - get all six audio books and then you can see how many hours each book is. Let's say they total 100 hours - just start listening 100 hours before the last book comes out and it will be perfect timing! I think I will do that too. If you get hungry you can just order a five-topping pizza.