Books Gulliver Reads

Post here on any books you've finished or heard about or want to read. This will hopefully enhance the educational value of our forum.
Gulliver
SNEECHES' friend

Slight change of plans

Post by Gulliver »

As you know Nibs, I usually have been getting the Dark Tower books two at a time from the library. This time the library did indeed have the next two books (next four in fact!) but I discovered that the next two are much longer than the others I have read. I realized that me and Snuffles between the two of us could only carry one home - so I only checked out one book. It is called Wizard and Glass. I've already read 50 pages!
Answer: This character studied medicine, "knowing it would be useful in long voyages"

Question: Who is Gulliver?
Nibs
Schlopstakovich Superstar

On Snuffles, On Dj, On Prancer

Post by Nibs »

Hey Gulliver

That's pretty exciting you got the next book. I can't believe you both couldn't carry the other one too! You're so much bigger and stronger than me... I thought for sure there was nothing you couldn't carry.

MiniNibs told me that maybe next time you should bring a skateboard and tie it to Snuffles and then he can pull and you can push and maybe get those books back safely.

Did you go to the homeless person library or the Hilltop one? If it's the Hilltop one, then you probably shouldn't try the skateboard idea because Snuffles might get tired halfway home and take a nap in Forest Park and get mistaken for an escaped puffin and that would lead to all sorts of troubles.

Keep me posted on any Dinky news!
Gulliver
SNEECHES' friend

the Nibslinger

Post by Gulliver »

Hey Nibs - I am reading the Wizard and Glass book and guess who makes an appearance on page 173? That's right, it's you Nibs! How about that?

The scene is in a bar called the Traveller's Rest where two of the Big Coffin Hunters are having a conversation:

"Where's Roy? With Her Nibs?"

(Gulliver here - they are talking about someone named Deborah)

Her bowlegged clumping walk and her way of squinting off into the distance led Jonas to suspect she was just another cowgirl from a long line of them, but she had high-hat ways. It was Clay who had started calling the girl Her Nibs, or Her Majesty.

Last edited by Gulliver on Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Answer: This character studied medicine, "knowing it would be useful in long voyages"

Gulliver
SNEECHES' friend

Nibs-ology

Post by Gulliver »

I started doing some research about the origin of Nibs, thought you might be interested Nibs:

[Q] From K Mackay: “I would appreciate your knowledge of the origin of the expression his nibs, which was always applied to my beloved, albeit autocratic, father.”

[A] This is a mock title used to refer to a self-important man, especially one in authority. It is modelled after the pattern of references to the British aristocracy, such as his lordship. Most sources say something like “origin obscure”. It is first recorded in print about 1820, but is presumably older. There is some evidence that nibs is a variant form of nabs, and that both may have their origin in the ancient word neb, meaning a beak or nose, or more generally, the protruding bit of anything (our word for the business end of a pen comes from the same root). Also, nib itself was once used as a slang term for a gentleman, as was another old slang word still to be heard, nob, and these could very probably be connected. Several early examples of the latter are spelled nab and his nabs is a variant recorded form of his nibs. It seems the vowel was highly fluid, not surprising considering the different dialects and periods it has come through. Perhaps the association with supposed social superiors may have something to do with people so elevated in self-importance that they “have their noses in the air”?

Gulliver
SNEECHES' friend

Bird and bear and hare and fish

Post by Gulliver »

Hey Lee.

I just finished the fourth Dark Tower book called Wizard and Glass and Schlop.

It was sad.

(sniffle)

Do you know of any happy books I could read before reading the next one?

(sniffle)

Gulliver
SNEECHES' friend

Sneeches of the Calla

Post by Gulliver »

Well I decided to try reading the next book in the hopes that things will soon get happier for Roland and his ka-tet. Also Peaches said he will read it with me in case it gets sad again.

Anyways, we came across this passage that had a shout-out to Sneeches:
"When the Wolves come," he said, "they'll come with fire-hurling weapons - the light-sticks, ye ken - and guns, and flying metal things. I can't remember the name of those-"

"The buzz-balls," someone called.

"The sneetches," called someone else.

"Stealthies!" called a third.
I wonder who it was that called out Sneetches? Maybe it was His Nibs?

Gulliver
SNEECHES' friend

Muffin-balls

Post by Gulliver »

Well, I came across a Muffins reference in the Schlops of the Calla:
Jake's arms were full of round things the size of tennis balls. Only these balls would never bounce true; they had little horns sticking up from them.

The gunslinger ended the suspense by taking one, plucking off the horns, and biting into what was left. "Muffin-balls," he said. "I haven't seen any in gods know how long. They're wonderful."

Susanna took one, nibbled, then helped herself to a bigger bite. "You don't want to skip these, sweetheart," she said. "My daddies friend, Pop Mose, would have said 'These are prime.'" She took another of the muffin-balls from Jake and ran a thumb over its silky surface.
These muffin-balls seem to be much more trouble than they are worth - that night they cause very strange dreams. They are just sidetracking Roland and his friends from their true purpose - to find Dinky!

Muffins
Schloptastic Bean

Muffins!

Post by Muffins »

Cool!
"You have no life... Writing about Smurfs... GO EAT A MUFFIN OR SOMETHING!"
Gulliver
SNEECHES' friend

More muffins stuff

Post by Gulliver »

I came across some more muffins stuff:
"We also have fresh muffin-balls. Jake found them," Roland said.

"Actually, it was Oy," Jake said, and stroked the bumbler's head. "I guess he's sort of a muffin-hound."
I like Oy a lot. Wouldn't it be cool to have a muffin-hound, Muffins? Or would a muffin-hound eat you? I guess I'm not real sure how this all works. Are you a muffin?

Muffins
Schloptastic Bean

Funny you should ask

Post by Muffins »

Heh, no - I am not myself a muffin... I just like muffins a lot! :o)
PB
No Doubt Moses Bean

Ball o Muffins

Post by PB »

I found a picture of a Muffin-ball.

I can't believe they ATE those things... that's disgusting.
Nibs
Schlopstakovich Superstar

Reading proposition

Post by Nibs »

Hey Gulliver,

That's really impressive how you keep getting through all those Dark Tower books.

I had an idea I thought I'd run past you. Would you...um....possibly....er.... I mean, it's ok if you don't want to...but if you do.... well, after you finish the Dark Towers....

I was curious if maybe you wanted to read the first book of the "Tales of the Okari" and I could read it too and then we could talk about it. Anyway, let me know what you think.
Muffins
Schloptastic Bean

Hey!!!

Post by Muffins »

Oh geez, you sure got me good PB! I should know not to cross you and your photoschlop skills!
Gulliver
SNEECHES' friend

Re: Reading proposition

Post by Gulliver »

Nibs wrote:Hey Gulliver,

That's really impressive how you keep getting through all those Dark Tower books.

I had an idea I thought I'd run past you. Would you...um....possibly....er.... I mean, it's ok if you don't want to...but if you do.... well, after you finish the Dark Towers....

I was curious if maybe you wanted to read the first book of the "Tales of the Okari" and I could read it too and then we could talk about it. Anyway, let me know what you think.
Oh...

Gee, I'm just not sure if I am ready for that kind of relationship Nibs...

It's just that - Peaches has been reading the Schlops of the Calla with me... and we make a pretty good reading team. He knows all the words that I don't know, and he turns the pages for me... I just don't know if a long-distance reading relationship with you would work out.

Well, I'll think it over. See you, Nibs.

peaches
Fuzziest Bean of All

Hi Guys!!!

Post by peaches »

I like reading with Gulliver!!!