Nibs Reloaded

This forum focuses on how cool Schlop is and other subtopics as such.
Nibs
Schlopstakovich Superstar

Rocky Mountain Nibs

Post by Nibs »

Hey guys,

Well I didnt get much computer access because Lee was hogging it a lot (ahem) during the trip.

But as you've heard the highlight was eating a peach pie and hearing about a snow bunny.

Anysneech, here are my photos from some of my adventures in the mountains:
http://picasaweb.google.com/nibskebab/N ... yMountains

If you want to see what other people were up to, you can check it out here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lee.granas/EstesPark
peaches
Fuzziest Bean of All

Squirrels!

Post by peaches »

Nibs I heard about the wondrous hike you are planning across all of San Franibsco and that there are squirrels and pigeons and you can pick pears from gardens as you walk and there are fields full of pans you can use as beds!

It sounds so incredible - I hope you will consider taking Sneeches along with you. I know Sneeches would really appreciate seeing a squirrel in the wild!
Hurty flurty schnipp schnipp!
Nibs

Cross Town Sneech Section 1

Post by Nibs »

Hi guys!

For Lee's birthday, we did part one of the legendary SF Cross Town Trail!

It was pretty neat. A few of Lee's friends came with us. It turned out to be very nice weather and a great day to hike. We took a lyft to Candlestick Park and began out on a peninsula in the bay, on a wooden dock in fact!

Then we hiked along the water and explored a broken dock and old boat that was broken in half. The trail cut inland and we walked through some neat old neighborhoods Lee and I had never seen.

About 30 mins in we came across a coffee shop that was made for Cross Town Trail hikers! It had a sign in the window that welcomed Cross Town hikers and they were selling t-shirts and hats with the CrossTown symbol on them. They also had a sign that said "Complimentary banana and water refill for any hikers"! Wow! Lee and I ate the complimentary banana! Lee's friends had lavendar lattes that had little sprigs of lavendar clothespinned to the cups with tiny clothespins, what!

Then we went through a series of amazing gardens in Visitacion Valley that wound up through a neighborhood. I guess it's a "green belt." The final one was a locked garden that we were supposed to hike around... but Lee jokingly tried to pick the lock and succeeded to everyone's amazement! (It was a lock dial with letters and the password was "DIRT" so Lee felt very proud of herself. The letters "IRT" were already there though... so it wasn't that crazy. But all the Spelling Bee training certainly helped.) So we got to see that cool garden first-hand.

At the top of the greenbelt, we walked off trail to a neat overlook to take in the view. There was an old hippie-type house covered in art nearby. The garage door opened and a tiny old lady with long gray dreadlocks emerged. She said "Are you CrossTown Trail hikers?" and we said yes. Then she told us really cool stories of how she helped save the green belt land and all about the history of this neighborhood and valley. Being big SF history buffs, Lee and I were so excited! She could sense our excitement and told us more about how the original owner of the house was one of 3 lady psychiatrists in SF in the 1940s. And she was the first to say that being gay wasn't a mental illness. Wow!

The lady, who calls herself Opal Minded, took us into her garden, which was full of old burningman sculptures and cool art everywhere. Around the corner was a 13th Century giant sleeping Buddha statue from Thailand- WHAT!

Opal couldn't believe our enthusiasm so she then took us inside her "famous" house and showed us the adobe arch built in the 1800s as a fort and the wooden ceiling made from the timber of old gold rush ships. Opal was a wealth of ancient SF lore and it's crazy that we just happened to stumble her way and meet her. Now she and Lee are friends on facebook, hoo!

The trail wound up to a cool high point, McLaren Park. The views were awesome and then we wound down through a bunch of neat woods. There were lots of turtle statues along the way that we played on.

We got to cross a giant highway through a neat bridge fence thing. Then through the neat houses of Glen Park. The first section was only 5 miles, but we did it very leisurely (with an Opal detour) so it took us 4 hours. We got celebratory tacos and the taco lady only charged Lee for 2 tacos (instead of 3) because it was her birthday! Hooray!

Lee put some pics up on nibstagram because I was too lazy to deal with imgur: https://www.instagram.com/p/B7PJd-6BQ7I/

Anysneech, can't wait to explore the other 12 miles of trail!

What a neat birthday adventure!
Last edited by Nibs on Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
peaches
Fuzziest Bean of All

That's great Nibs but...

Post by peaches »

did you see a squirrel?
Hurty flurty schnipp schnipp!
Nibs

Urban Hiking = more snacks

Post by Nibs »

Hi bears!

Lee and I did Parts 2 and 3 of the SF Cross Town Trail today.

(Peaches- not a lot of squirrel activity yet but some squirrel statues in people's yards. We'll keep looking.)

We started in Glen Park today and ran into some neat Solar Totems that show how sunny each day is, by using the sun's rays to burn a log. https://www.charlessowers.com/solartotems

We hiked through the amazing Glen Canyon and found a Faire Aerie with lots of toys and stuff inside. We stopped for lunch and Lee had a tuna melt!

Then we climbed the tall hills around Sutro Tower and found a wooden bear statue in a yard. We explored an abandoned old hospital that reminded us of Silent Hill- scary! We found a cool gnome trying to escape his castle and some great views of the ocean.

The mosaic steps were definitely the highlight. We ran into a lady who helps upkeep them and she talked to us a bunch. We also ran into 3 people we knew on the trail- I guess it's becoming more popular now. We also saw some monkey statues hanging from a tree!

We hiked from 9 am until 4 pm, but were so leisure that we only covered 5 miles again. Hoo hoo!

That leaves the final 7 miles still to come. Hopefully they will be full of squirrels.

Here's my instagram post about it with more pictures: https://www.instagram.com/p/B8VczOGhwYW/

Hope we can show it to the bears one day!
Nibs

Grand Canyon

Post by Nibs »

(Whoa I haven't posted any Nibs Reloaded adventures for 3 years due to the Pandemic! Crazy!)

Anysneech, in March I got to go with Lee to the Grand Canyon and then eat some Phantom Ranch on our salads.

It was cool and there was snow on the rim! Lee and I hiked for 7 hours down and 9 hours back up!

I also got to sleep in a cozy top bunk with a soft pillow.

And there were great snacks!

All in all, a top notch adventure.

Nibs

King of the Road

Post by Nibs »

I am getting ready for a great summer Odyssey, which hopefully is less harrowing and more restful than the actual Odyssey.

It all begins on Saturday when I go to the cabin for a bit. Then I bounce around the globe for 7 weeks. I've never been away for that long before!

Here's the schedule:
* Colorado
* Vermont (a new state for me! Only 4 left after this: ME, RI, ND, WV)
* St Louis
* Colorado
* Switzerland !!
* Portland (a work trip that might fall through)
* Colorado
* St Louis

If all goes according to plan, I'll get spit back out to the forest on August 12, just in time to prep for Burning Schlop.

What a fun lineup. I'm so glad I get to go on these great adventures!
Nibs

Seasons of Nibs

Post by Nibs »

Hoo hoo, oh dear, I am so behind on posts!

I've been meaning for months to update how all those summer adventures of 2023 were. Still to come!

Now we are here in 2024 and some new plans are taking shape:

January: (canceled) We were going to hike in Kanab, UT, but Lee got sick!
February: We are going hiking with Mom in Sedona! New for us!
March: We are going to Spring Training with Mom and Nancy. New for us!
April: No plans yet
May: Mom is going to visit Lee and walk around Napa vineyards
June: Lee is going back to Schlop's old stomping grounds of Costa Rica for a weeklong retreat- cool.

That's all we've got so far... I'm sure there will be some cabin time and some more visits to St Louis!

Fuzzah!